Thursday, July 31, 2008

July 31 - Golden Birthday



Today was the best hangover day of Budapest.  Candida and I stayed out very late and added whisky to our drink menu.  We hung out at Kiado well after they closed and Daniel, our favorite bartender gave us free beer for my birthday! 
 
I slept in, missing breakfast, but took myself out to a little fancy cafe for coffee and a sandwich.  Then Patricia and I tried to go the Hungarian National Museum and like morons, we completely missed our turn for it and walked totally out of our way and completely around the enormous building.  I don't know how we totally got lost and didn't see the huge fucking museum with the largest columns in Budapest, but leave it to me to pull something so ridiculous. So that's our joke:  we walked "all around" the museum.  By the time we got to it, we were exhausted from the heat and the unexpected journey and decided to forgo the museum for espressos and lemonade.  Then I took a nap. Got up, checked email and came back to the hotel to find Beata and all the girls at the hotel cafe and they had a cake and a gift for me!  EThey got me the cutest tote/purse and it's so handy.  Wish I'd had it weeks ago!  I can fit a lot of stuff in it and it's adorable.  That was really kind of all of them to think of me and be there to celebrate my birthday.  I am so lucky to have such an amazing group of women to work and enjoy Budapest with!  I mean, on what planet do seven women, all from diverse backgrounds and of a broad age range get together and kind of instantly become friends?  Planet Medosz!  We have an idea for a little funny video of all us to give to Beata as a gift when we leave...

Extra special for me today was that we had a new waiter for lunch at the Cafe. Gabor.  Damned good looking man.  

We went to the big gallery open-house event by Parliament tonight.  About 25 galleries and antique shops opened up and we stopped in and saw a lot of contemporary Hungarian art - mostly painting but some sculpture and phtotography too.  There was an incredible antique collection at a place called Pinket Antik.  The place was a massive labyrinth of some of the most beautiful furniture and pieces I have ever seen.  

Next thing we know, it starts to rain and we got totally stuck in it!  We tried to stop at a couple restaurants for cover and some dinner, but seems everyone in Budapest had the same idea!  So we made our way back to the hotel and changed out of our wet clothes and all went out to dinner together at Ferenc Joszef Cafe, right by the Ernst Museum.  I ate the Beef Goulash, it was delicious, but I'm so full right now that I feel a bit barfy!  

So, that's my birthday.  It's been lovely and I'm so touched by all the sweet birthday wishes sent via email, myspace, facebook and text today!  

It'll be an early night tonight, especially after last nights debauchery and tonight's overfill of spicy beef.  Tomorrow, we head to the Ludwig Museum and the Gellert Bath.  It will be another day off, afterall.  

No comments: