Monday, July 21, 2008

Breakthrough

My new roommate, Patricia, is just what I needed to pull me out of my funk.  She's in her mid-thirties (i think) and she just arrived yesterday to the Residency.  She does incredibly thoughtful installation pieces.  Originally from Ecuador, she lives in Tennessee.  

This morning, she and I figured out the tram/metro (subway) system and bought our passes.  We then took a long walk to Hero's Square and the park at Varosliget.  Here, there's the Palace of Art, the Museum of Fine Art and a truly amazing and beautiful castle.  Vaydahunyad Castle.  Neither of us went on this trek with cameras, instead, we enjoyed the walk and the weather and the scenery, with no pressure.  It was relaxing and good for my body, mind and spirit.  We talked the whole way, taking in the surroundings, conversing about art, politics, philosophy, culture and our lives.  I think she's awesome.  

After lunch, I took a nap.  I woke up after about 45 minutes feeling completely refreshed and motivated.  With my new understanding of the transportation systems, I felt confident enough to get on the metro and head back to where we were today, this time with my video camera and tripod.  I shot a lot of exterior and scenic shots of the monuments and buildings, the people, the tourists.  I even kept the camera rolling while I was on the subway.  The sounds and audio on the metro is really incredible.  A loud whirr and whoosh and grind mixed with voices and hisses and sounds of brakes.  Then the doors whisk open and people come and go.  My luck, as I entered the metro station and stamped my pass, the guard totally accosted me for my ticket...and I was rolling!  

While I was in Hero's Square, the cutest blond boy was fascinated by me and the camera.  I got a couple shots of him.  My luck again, he joined me on the metro a couple stops later!  He was so adorable.  Funny, in a city of 2 million people, I run into this little tow-head twice.  

Today is a far cry from yesterday's slump.  Lunch was even better.  Everything was better.  I don't hurt as much and I feel rested and strong again.  I may have to revamp my plans for my project and the work I'll do here, but isn't that how filmmaking, and life in general, usually ends up.  Even the best plans can go to shit.  The point is, to pick yourself up and keep on shooting, living, breathing -- and to be excited about it every step, even if painful, along the way.  

Patricia also offered me some excellent advice:  forget editing.  Shoot EVERYTHING.  Shoot all the time.  Don't waste time editing right now, I'll always have the footage.  Right now, my opportunity is to capture as much footage as possible.  She put it like this: "Say you're at home, editing and you say, shit, I forgot to shoot that...it's not like you can come right back."  And she's right.  All I needed was a new perspective.

So, cheers to her and everyone for their love and support.

No comments: