Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Farkasreti Cemetery

This is where my grandmother is buried.  Farkasreti Cemtery, in the Buda side of the Budapest. 

How do I know?  Well, I went back to Kerepesi today and met with a woman in the Information Office who spoke a little english and she made a million phone calls, let me videotape her while she did so, and she found all the information I needed.  The story is incredible.  

My grandmother died in 1957.  Her side of the family paid for her grave.  Graves leases "expire" and cease if not released every 25 years (that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard!)  In 1980, a family member of her's, Gadai Agostonne, died, and was buried by her, thereby extending the lease on the grave (which would have expired in 1982).  Then, another 25 years was added to the lease.  So, in 2005, the grave expired again.  My helper, Barbara, waiting for a call back, said, if it wasn't paid, it might not be there.  If it is there, you can pay to keep it.  It will only cost about 150,000 forints!

Well, then she gets a call back.  And the grave was paid in 2005 by Garia Agostonne.  She then gave me this persons phone number and address.  

I think the person who died was my grandmother's sister.  And I think the person who paid on the grave is one of her children, and this person lives in Budapest.  

Barbara also gave me tram and metro directions to Farkasreti.  She was so helpful, I teared up when I said goodbye to her.

So, the adventure keeps shifting and changing.  Tomorrow, or the next day it DOESN'T RAIN ALL DAY, I'll head over there.  I know the transportation system well enough now to feel comfortable getting there with all my equipment.  

I'm also going to ask, Beata, my liaison, to translate a phone call to this person for me.  Wow, I have goosebumps just thinking about it!

For now, I'm going to hang out with the cute German boys I met at Kiado Kocsma last night. Young and friendly, we're going to hit up a few bars.  

No pics today, but a lot of progress in my research and quest to find my grandma's grave.  I can't wait to bring her some flowers and tell her that my mom loves her. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! How exciting! I can't wait to hear the next chapter of events.

I leave for the Buddhist retreat tomorrow at 5 am. I will call you from NYC on August 4.

I would donate, but I'm unemployed and effin' broke.

love you,

d2