Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday - Laundry Day!






Since I've been back, I've had this strange, early morning motivation to GET SHIT DONE around the house. I came home with quite a few boxes left from the move, including the entire media room, which houses all 1500 of our books, 2000 CD's, 1000 Records, plus the dvd's, vhs, cassettes and other bullshit we simply can't seem to part with. Not to mention, the weeds in my backyard were taller than me and the mountain of laundry is only growing.

Saturday and Sunday, I finished unpackign my offfice and some random boxes here and there. Monday we knocked out the Media Room. It's a hodge podge of unmatching bookshelves and random cheap Ikea or garbage picked storage systems for all this stuff. There's a couple chairs in there and Xian will hook up the turntable to the house stereo system and it will be rockin' good!

Yesterday, I woke up at 8 am, on my own, which is completely unheard of. Did the earth have a polar shift? Was there some strange celestial alignment that caused this bizarre twist of the universe? I popped out of bed, made coffee, doused myself with insect repellent and started working immediately on the backyard (which was a total mosquito and god knows what else infestation). I used hedge clippers to chop down all the tall weeds (which were more like trees), and thousands of bugs scattered away. I went to Lowe's for rakes and gloves and even went to the post office (more on that later). I woke X up around 10 and we went out there and hauled so much ass, I cannot even describe the power of our awesome yard-cleaning force! In a few hours, we cleaned the entire yard, which makes it look twice as big! I even hung my ugly cow bird feeder and put in some tiki torches!! The only thing we have left to do is move a pile of random bricks back there into the designated "why the fuck do we have all these random bricks" zone. We kept the back corner a little over grown and kept the hay that's there around because that seems to be where Wilson likes to poop. And I won't mess with that.

After all that work, I listed 40 books for sale on Amazon, browsed Craigslist for patio furniture (I think I'll pickup a table, four chairs and umbrella today for $50!), I made dinner, watched gymnastics (poor Alicia!) and drank a lot of beer. It was a super-productive day!

But today, I really have to just commit myself to laundry. I mean, it's really disgusting in my bedroom, especially when you think some of the clothes in that pile is from before we moved here! I have this eerie dejavu feeling that when I start to sort the clothes, bugs will scatter like they did in the backyard.

Not sure which laundro-mat to use, but if it has WIFI, I'll be in less of laundry hell!

Finally, couple quick happy references: hung out with Kelly and Jason, they gave me a PED EGG (it's kind of weird) and Kelly hooked me up with a day out for lunch at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens (for my birthday). They rock. Met up with Josh, Jenn, and Belinda for dinner at Su Casa. Awesome. Mira is safe in Detroit. Heather is still a bitch. Wilson is acting more normal. Found out yesterday my very amazing and wonderful friend from Detroit, Beth B. is moving here to Richmond in October! And my mom is coming to visit this weekend so we can plan out some of our business for the future visits to Hungary and the film we're going to make.

Now, if this motivation and positive forward moving train can keep steam through next week and well into the upcoming (gulp) semester, I'll be thrilled.

Last note: I went to the post office yesterday as well and sent a care package to Mira, but also, I sent a thank you card to Barbara Nebehej, the woman who provided all the information about my Grandmother's grave, including Agoston's phone number and address. In the card, I wrote a 3 page letter to her, describing how her acts of kindness to a random stranger opened so many doors and possibilities, more than I could have ever imagined. I hope she doesn't have too hard of a time reading a letter in English, but it will at least be good practice, as she told me takes English lessons. Either way, what's most important is that she is somehow aware of that her kindness has had a profound effect on my life and the life of my family. Cheers to Barbara!

No comments: