Thursday, August 7, 2008

Aug. 7 - Last night in lovely Budapest

Last night, all I had energy for was dinner and sleep.  We went to a decent cafe by the Ernst museum, but had the biggest bitch for a waitress.  She was horrible!  She rolled her eyes at us, hurried us through our meal, forgot everything, huffed and puffed when I ask for a take-out box (which I had to ask for twice) and then while sweet Marlene broke down the bill (because their credit card machine was down) she hovered behind Marlene and unbeknownst to our dear Portuguese friend, shot eye-daggers from her bitch-face all over Marlene's back!  So here's Marlene, counting, adding, doing all the math, while this woman just stands there.  She's so engrossed in working out the bill she doesn't even notice the woman, which I think forged a protective shield from the evil gushing out of her...and we're all snickering and laughing and just wondering, don't you have something better to do with your time than breathe down our necks? Candida hadn't even finished eating yet!  Too much.  

I declined to go out and crashed early.  I gave Hannah a hug goodbye and very early this morning, she was gone, on her way back to Boston.  I awoke alone and very sweaty from a feverish sleep, but I think I broke my fever and I feel much better today.  My big apartment/hotel room is empty except for a few stray things like Hannah's peanut butter and the silverware we nicked from the breakfast room.  Patricia, who came with a suitcase in a suitcase (since she came from New York and had to transport some art), left me with her extra suitcase and a few of her things to ship to her and it's good that I have it!  After buying a new tripod and 3 days worth of new clothes, plus all the other shit I've acquired on the journey, I barely have room for everything!  I am going to be so screwed at customs. 

Today, I had coffee and breakfast with Candida and made plans with she, Marlene and Lana for dinner.  It's our last night together and I'm really sad!  Though I don't feel like I'm in top shape, I do feel like yesterday's bout of doing absolutely nothing has bought me some time to go out tonight and enjoy my last evening in Budapest. 

So, this will be my last blog here...I'll take some time to reflect in a little more of a sophisticated and intellectual way when I get home and don't have a fever anymore.  

I took a jaunt over the West End mall to look for last minute gifts and something for Xian.  I wasn't every successful in finding anything for him (I had something very specific in mind).  But as I was walking back to the Medosz, I popped into this little shop and assembling a great all-Hungarian gift for him.  

But, while I was the mall, I turned the corner and couldn't believe my eyes!  SIX PINBALL MACHINES AT THE ARCADE!!!  I thought, do I dare?  And yes, I accepted the challenge.  I played 3 out of the six machines:  Sopranos, Shrek and Indiana Jones.  It was AWESOME.  I kicked ass!  Free game here, match there.  Cheap too!  3 games for 200 Forints!  So, I spent 1000 forints and walked away, happy and relaxed.  So funny that all the games in the arcade are all in English and all the Pinball machines are totally based on American pop-culture (the others were Wheel of Fortune, Spiderman and Pirates of the Caribbean.  The Indiana Jones had an EIGHT BALL multiball - that was too crazy!  I have pics, but haven't uploaded them...soon...

Tonight we'll go to a gallery opening at 6:30, then dinner, then some laughs and goodbyes and fun at the Kiado, and likely more fun after that.  I don't care that I feel like crap today.  I have to have fun and just ignore the body aches and enjoy this last night out with my new friends in this amazing city.  

No comments: