Monday, August 25, 2008

Obama and Me!


Yesterday I started my volunteer work at the Richmond Obama headquarters, about a block from my house. I walk past it all the time and on Friday, I stopped in an signed up! So, on Sunday, I got there around noon, had a brief tutorial on what to say and do at the phone bank, and started making calls. I made about 200 calls in 3 hours, which made a slight dent in the daily goal of 13,000 calls. Most people didn't answer their phones and I was only hung up on twice, but of the two dozen or so people I actually spoke with, they were really nice and super charged about Obama!

My goal was to invite people to watch the Democratic Nomination of Obama on Thursday at their local precinct's designated party location. Here's my script:

"Hello, is _____________ available? Hi, I'm Kristine, a volunteer at the Obama for President campaign here in Richmond.

I'm calling today to because as a supportor of Senator Obama, we wanted to invite you to watch the Democratic Nomination of Obama for President. Would you like to attend a free Convention Watch Party in your precinct on Thursday, August 28th"

And here, people would either respond with total enthusiasm or begin to tell me a lot about themselves. Broken hips, knee surgery, have to work a night shift at the restaurant, small kids to take care of, class at VCU, etc. But here's where in some cases I could spin a maybe out of them or at least pass on the information that we need lots of help from volunteers and if they were interested, we're located at 1208 W. Marshall, right behind the Siegel Center.

Sometimes I threw in words and phrases like "come meet like-minded voters and Obama supporters in your community" or "don't miss this historic event!" or "would you like to invite anyone in the household to join you?" Yeah, all of these were mine, off-script. I'm awesome.

I had planned to stay for 5 hours, but after about 3 1/2, I couldn't take it anymore. My ear REALLY hurt from being on the phone and I totally ran out of steam. But I'll be back next Sunday for more volunteer work and the free pretzels.

Not like I don't have a million other things to do...being involved in that pesky MATX program that takes up most of my time, or trying to have a bit of a social life, or god forbid, trying to work on my Hungary documentary...

But I think the reason I've been so damned compelled to help with this campaign and that I'm committed to giving a little time at least once a week -- is because I have suffered for EIGHT LONG YEARS. I have never volunteered at a campaign before, though I vote at every primary and election. I try to stay informed, but don't really get involved. And Gore lost (well, he won, but I digress) and Kerry lost too, and when that happened, I was inconsolable for days! I cried and cried. That was a bad year, because Kwame won that year too, and I didn't vote for that scumbag either!

So, I'm gonna put a little muscle and a little effort into this campaign and for better or worse, I feel good about my contribution. Maybe this is the magic sprinkle of fairy dust needed to secure that the next president isn't a warmonger millionaire who doesn't know how many houses he owns...but someone who actually inspires me and many others and gives me a little hope about the future.

And for all 3 of you that read my blog, you too can help out! Just go to www.vademocrats.org or Obama for America.

No comments: