Saturday, August 2, 2008

August 2nd - Out with Agoston, Erzsebet and Zsuzsa












This is yesterday and today's blog, as I was too exhausted and emotionally drained to sit down and write about the day last night....

Agoston, Erzsebet and her cousin, Zsuzsa picked me up right at 10 am yesterday morning and we headed out to Godollo.  There was a traffic back-up because of the the Formula 1 racing shit happening in Budapest this weekend, but at least we were in a nice air-conditioned Peugeot.  Zsuzsa acted as interpretor, she's Erzsebet's cousin and she was great.  We got along right away and I think she must have done a fine job translating as Agoston and Erzsebet laughed at my silly jokes!

We arrived at the Kiraly Castle Museum, built in 1733 and purchased by Queen Erzsebet and the royal family in 1867.  The palace, which had been sacked in WWI, WWII and by the Commies, is only about half restored and most of the original furniture, art and relics are stolen or missing.  Much of the material in the museum is on loan from other museums or re-created in the style of the time.  But it was really quite breathtaking and in no way "unroyal." You couldn't take photos inside, but I snuck a few here and there!  

Then we headed out another 60 km to Holloko, a true Hungarian village with an amazing castle ruin at the top of large hill.  We walked all through the village, stopping in the shops and ate a huge meal at the super charming old-timey Hungarian restaurant.  This was like a the Hungarian version of the Shire.  While at dinner, Agoston gave me a gold chain and gold crucifix that belonged to my great-grandmother.  It was a very teary and emotional exchange.  I'm going to give this to my mom.  They also gave me a few more copies of family photos and promised more to come.  

I napped on the drive back and felt a little ill when I returned.  A long day in the sun, with more tears and more joy and the difficulties of language...but I wouldn't trade the time with them for anything in the world.

Later, all of us girls went to the Chain Bridge with some cute Dutch boys that Candida and Marlene snared the night before and we hung out on the bridge, overlooking the Danube. Every Saturday, they close this bridge and there's a ton of food, beer, vendors and music.  It's like Dally in the Alley, but every weekend of the summer and on a huge beautiful bridge.  The breeze was intoxicating.  It was the first time my body had cooled off in days.  We sat around and simply enjoyed the beauty of Budapest, suspended above the river, surrounded by the huge lions and tons of people and great vibes from all directions.  

I returned to find some tragic news about my brother-in-law's family and woke up today with the oppressive feeling of homesickness all over me.  It's worse than the heat.  Since I've been gone, Christian's stepfather Warren passed away, Belinda's dad passed away, and now Tobie's brother, David.  And as much as I love it here and want to come back and live here, these terrible events have really made me miss my friends and my home and my dog and my boyfriend and my cats and my family.  I miss Christian's face and his voice.  I miss Wilson's sweetness.  If I move here, I'll desperately need to transport these elements of my life here with me or I won't make it.  

But, I'm coming home on Friday and just have to push through this melancholy.  A day of ennui isn't the worst thing in the world and I plan on going to the Szenchenyi baths a little later on to swim away the blues.  

So, right now, Candida and I are back at Kiado, our home away from home, and because Daniel loves her (who wouldn't love this girl?) we've been treated to some fresh watermelon and the kindest, friendliest service we get in town.  This place is a true gem - like the Cass Cafe (the likes of which I haven't found a replacement for in Richmond).  


No comments: