Monday, September 10, 2007

Richmond ROCKS! Don't stop Believin'!!!!

After an awesome, drunken, totally really really ridiculously good-looking weekend with Matt and Marianne where we spent a good portion of time discovering Richmond and a lot of the places I haven't been yet, Christian finally came home after a two-week work hiatus in MI. With much guilt, but little apprehension, I took Saturday completely off from studies and he and I spent a bit of the afternoon exploring what I call the Granite Planet...this part of the James River Park that is miles of huge granite boulders that you can hike all over and make your way across to get to the James River and Belle Isle. Yes, Richmond has a Belle Isle, and I'll tell you what, it ain't ghetto. Once we made it to the river, after climbing an abandoned dam and finding all kinds of cool trails, we found an area of the river where people were picnicing, swimming, and swimming with their DOGS! Now I can't wait to take Wilson to the river. I've never seen him swim, but I know since his heritage is part Newfoundland that he will love the mossy river water. Not worried about him stinking like mossy river, he already reeks.

Tonight we ate at a wonderful restaurant called Comfort, which is only 4 blocks from our house. I had a kobe steak with sides of mac n cheese and squash cassorole. Amazing.

I can't believe how nice it is here...and I love VCU so far. A totally energized, positive environment. Shit gets done here. Good shit. The MATX program is incredible. I have never experienced such a calm, collected and inspiring work environment - and I have never been treated so well personally and professionally. VCU bought four empty buildings on Broad St., right behind my house, which are being renovated to be the studios exclusively for us MATX art folk. And since Richmond has it's First Fridays Art Walk every month, on Friday, me and a few of my new MATX friends decorated/installed the windows of our new buildings with our art - one of my films and some objects to go along with it, Guido's animation, Belinda's print work, Katie's glass, Jenn's sculpture, etc... I'm only here a month and I already have a film showing/art space and a few really cool friends in the program. That's fucking outrageous!

Who's next on the visiting trail? DANA!!!!! Yay! Or maybe, you?

No comments: