Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gardening at Night








In midst of all the luminous turmoil of the last few weeks of the semester, I managed to muster enough time to not only go to Lowe's and buy flowers and plants and mulch and containers for my postage stamp of a front garden, I also managed to plant everything I bought and spread all the stinky cypress chunks around it! All the bulbs I planted last fall are making faces at me: the tulip bulbs are in near full bloom, the day lily bulbs have sprouted and even a few hasta shoots are poking out here and there. Last night I planted half the petunias (I bought 2 flats), I potted two tomato plants and two hungarian pepper plants, planted one tomato plant in the ground (as a science experiment), sowed aster, marigold, snapdragon and morning glory seeds and mulched around where I had worked. Then I watered and took these pics. Tonight, I planted the last of the petunias, weeded and finished mulching. The little space that was covered in crappy weeds and junk ivy up to the knees when we moved in is looking pretty darned cute right now! Of course, the only time I was able to commit to my gardening occurred after class the past few nights. So here I am, in the dark, digging holes, planting flowers, spreading mulch and dirt and drinking beer. My hands and feet are filthy. I love my dirty feet! My blue jeans have turned dirt/mulch brown. They look very high fashion. In my past and/or future lives, I am a farmer.

Before I share the visuals of my great triumphs in the 10x 8 plot -- I want to thank those who have have submitted seed money to my Budapest garden! Mickey Dutta, Selmin Kara, Lill Gwizdala, Marcel Cornis-Pope, Deb Wenger, Brian Boyer, Cortney McLean, Dana Drew and Gary Cendrowski. I've raised $508 so far! Thank you thank you thank you!!! There's no deadline on donations, so make yourself famous! Donate today!

Goodness, I still have plans to plant beans, corn, radishes and onions in the back yard!

No comments: