Monday, March 17, 2008

Don Juan DeMileage



We've entered the glorious phase of MATX 603 where we spend 3 weeks on Don Juan/Don Giovanni - opera, history, intertextuality. I've watched half of the Met opera version and we're required to watch a non-operatic version/adaptation of Don Juan by Thursday. So I thought -- why not Don Juan DeMarco? EASY.

Not so. I left school and thought I'd hit Movie Gallery before my 7 pm workout. Had an hour to kill. Movie Gallery came up dry. So I rushed to Target - since I had to buy cat food. Not at Target. I called Xian up -- where's the nearest Blockbuster and Best Buy? I zoom over to the Blockbuster in CaryTown. Nothing. So I figure a jaunt to Short Pump/Best Buy is an quick drive on 64. Then I get lost in Mansionville and go 15 miles out into nowhere. Finally, I find a 64 connection and get back in the right direction. Get to Best Buy, about to pee my pants. AND THEY DON'T FUCKING HAVE THE MOVIE EITHER! Apparently it is only available new on DVD as a double disc with the Astronaut's Wife (barf!) and all 3 local stores are out of stock. CHEESE AND RICE! I call Xian to check in...he looks online and finds my Don Juan.

Where? Oh, about a mile and a half from my house at the local video store - The Video Fan. Nestled in the Fan (such a great neighborhood) and only on VHS. So Figg and I are going totally RETRO tonight as we watch the beauty and splendor of obsolete format for our high-end multimedia Ph.D program. 50 miles of driving, a missed workout date and gas at $3.24 a gallon. Whatever it takes, I guess. Damn you Don Juan! Cuckolded again!

No comments: