Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Working for Tuition

First week of classes has commenced I've also fulfilled my first of work as a GTA for the School of Mass Communications. First, I'm working as an assistant for the undergraduate-produced news show called VCU InSight. Here, I fulfill two roles. I help the students who serve as anchors and reporters shoot and edit their stories. Next week, I'll help update the website for the show. Second, I assist the new studio professor in helping the technical crew get it together - shoot in the studio, run the switcher (which is apparently dead), hook up audio, etc. Then I help edit the final package of the shows, for which I have my own private office and edit suite. Sounds a bit too perfect, or easy, when considering where I came from and the environment that we students and professors were forced to work in. The other part of my job entails teaching a Mass Comm 101 breakout session. I have 25+ students who also go to a 400 person lecture session and then meet with me once a week to go over the course and discuss issues of from their textbook and course. It's a class that meets for 50 minutes. Now I'm used to teaching courses that last FOUR HOURS. This is a breeze!

Except there's this pesky thing called homework, and I'm stuck in four academic courses...so when people use terms like "buttload" and "ass-kicking" they are, of course, referring to the amount of reading I have to do.

1 comment:

belinda said...

LOL. Yes welcome to it. The load is a bit extreme. But on the good side you really do get wicked good at speed reading.